Icons of the decades

Rikidozan

Basically, which set of legends/icons do you prefer (obviously, only answer where aplicable)

1970s: Baba/Inoki or Briscoe/Dory Funk or Giant Haystacks/Big Daddy

1980s: Flair/Dusty or Hogan/Andre The Giant or Riki Choshu/Stan Hansen

1990s: Hogan/Sting or Austin/Rock or Raven/Tommy Dreamer

2000: Angle/Lesnar or AJ Styles/Jarrett or Bob Sapp/Manabu Nakanishi

Please give a few words explaining your picks, thanks :xyx

1970s: Giant Haystacks/Big Daddy

If they'd never been popular over here, the likelyhood is most of the UK people on this board now wouldn't be here, as wrestling would be nothing in the UK.

1980s: Hogan/Andre The Giant

Regardless of how well Flair, Steamboat etc. wrestled, Andre, and Hogan especially brought wrestling into the mainstream, and brought in more casual fans than ever before.

1990s: Austin/Rock

Hogan's time was over, Sting was destroyed around 1999 with the stupid angles he was in. Raven and Dreamer really were popular in one part of the US. Meanwhile, Rock and Austin were bringing in the Attitude era, and making wrestling as popular as it's ever been.

2000: Angle/HHH

Sorry to go against your choices Riki, but I really didn't think Lesnar's 2 years did anything but make him look good. Angle and HHH have been the cornerstone of the WWE whether we like it or not. Angle's rise to, and maintained success has brought the technical wrestling scene to full fruition, and HHH has been the figurehead of the WWE for the last 4 years. Unfortunately.

What Chris2k said.

The height of the 1980's rock and wrestling connection that made WWF the mainstream success it was. The two largest larger than life stars in the world.

1990s: Raven/Tommy Dreamer

So I'm a mark. Sue me. It was so perfectly booked and never got boring, it was just sheer perfection. Those two were excellent.

2000: Angle/Lesnar

Shame that Angle's neck is conked, but pound for pound, these two were probably the best american wrestling had to offer.

1970s: Briscoe/Dory Funk - i pick briscoe/funk over inoki/baba based on personal preference only really

1980s: Hogan/Andre The Giant - well obviously it would be these two in my mind...everyone, wrestling fan or not, has heard of these two people...and they did draw 93,173 :P

1990s: Austin/Rock - a no brainer...they were two of the major reasons wrestling reached the heights it did in the late 90's...doesn't hurt that both men are extremely talented

2000: Angle/Lesnar - from a pure wrestling standpoint this was great

Sorry, I know it goes against the which is the better fo the two concept of this thread but there has never been or ever will be a bigger icon(s) then Degeberation X. :worship

That music still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

If you're not down with that then you better get ready to

SUCK IT!!!

Sorry, I know it goes against the which is the better fo the two concept of this thread but there has never been or ever will be a bigger icon(s) then Degeberation X. :worship

That music still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

If you're not down with that then you better get ready to

SUCK IT!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOK :help

1970's - I was born in 79, so no opinion

1980's - Hulk Hogan/Andre the Giant and Ultimate Warrior: Hulk doesnt need to be explained, the great and most well known wrestler ever. Andre was Andre, people loved him. Ultimate Warrior, from 1988 - 1990, was the apparent heir to Hulks WWF throne. It fizzled out, but what he did in 2 years is still talked about to this day.

1990's - Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon, Rock, Nash & Hall. - Hulk fizzled in 92 until 94, then went into orbit from 94 until 98. Nash and Hall helped make the nWo and WCW huge. Steve Austin was the biggest star of the decade, followed closely by the Rock. Vince McMahon was the ultra heel, awesome!

2000's - HHH, Hulk Hogan: - Hulk was still driving them mental from 2002/2003 and will again, I'm sure. HHH has been the biggest star in the 2000's due to be an excellent backstage politician and the fact that Foley did such an awesome job of putting him over when he was a decent wrestler. Will be on top and treated as the main guy for years to come, but will never be remembered as a legend or an Icon, which is what he so badly craves.

1980s: Born in 83 and i didnt get into the grap game until late 80's early 90's.

1990s: Hogan/Sting

These were the guys i watched mainly during the mid-90's (my dad wouldn't pay for sky sports) and really helped re-kindle my interest in wrestling after a coupla years hiatus. Austin and Rock got my attention headin towards the end of the decade, but no-one could overshadow Sting, and alot of the other WCW guys.

2000: Angle

I agree with Chris that Lesnar's 2 years cant really warrant him being an idol. However Angle has shown us so much since making his debut. He can work superb matches, and will always have the crowds attention when on the mic. This man has helped carry the WWE these past few years and is a true idol.

I don't know a whole lot about wrestling from the 70's, from the point that these two helped make British Wrestling big, I go for them Giant Haystacks/Big Daddy

As others have said, both really attracted alot of main stream press to wrestling, and in the 80's that was what wrestling needed. Hogan and Andre really helped change wrestling forever. Flair and Dusty did do a lot, and had some good matches within the NWA, but they never attracted the mainstream press as Hogan and Andre did.

1990s: Hogan/Sting or Austin/Rock or Raven/Tommy Dreamer

Has to be Austin and Rock. In the early 90's Hogan's appeal was wearing thin, mid 90's he did relaunch himself with the nWo, but I think the appeal of the nWo wasn't really Hogan, more of the fact it was something new. As for Sting, I think he is one of the only few guys that throughout the entire 90's he was in the main event spot. However I don't think Sting ever reached his true potential, probably down to backstage politcs holding him down, I really think if he moved to the WWF in the mid 90's he would have been a lot bigger. Austin led the way from about 1997 onwards, he was able to reach the fans in a different way than Hulk did, instead of looking as Austin as "the superhero" as people did Hogan, they were able to relate him in the whole Austin vs. McMahon angle. As for The Rock, from about 1998 - 1999 he made a huge impact to the wrestling scene, he was able to cross over to the main stream audience, and his matches with Foley and Austin were excellent to.

2000: Angle/Lesnar or AJ Styles/Jarrett or Bob Sapp/Manabu Nakanishi.

Certainly Angle out of the choices, although there is plenty of time for someone else to take the lead. As for Brock, he made a pretty big impact in his two years, but I wouldn't say he reached the "Icon" status, maybe if his NFL adventure fails, and he comes back to the WWE he will be able to reach that status. I'd say, Triple H like the others have said, as much as people dislike him, can't look away from the fact that he is consistant in being a main event guy, he still is able to pull some good matches out, and is one of the better heels in the WWE.

Edited by Dan

1980's - Flair / Hogan

1990's - Hart / Michaels - Dont care what Riki's choices were these are mine. They kept the WWE from going under amid a difficult time with the steroid trial. Even though they were kicking the crap out of each other in the dressing room they managed to turn out some great matches in ring.

2000 - I dont at this time consider any of these men to be legend status, and really i can only see Angle going on to be a legend. To tell you the truth its hard looking at from 2000 to now and picking anyone who is worthy of that moniker. At a stretch id probably say Benoit but only to the wrestling purists. The 'new' breed of WWE fans would probably say Ray Mysterio :roll

While I messed-up naming the 2000 guys as legends, it's still possible to pick a pair, you know. Michaels and Hart aren't on the list, because they didn't draw anywhere near as much all the others listed, and where generally considered less when viewing them in stature-only. I said, "obviously only answer where aplicable", so please don't bring in a horde of new names that aren't even on there :)

1980's - Hogan/Flair

1990's - Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels

2000's - Angle/Lesnar

That's honestly who comes into my head as soon as I think of those decades. Apologies if they ain't on the list but that's honestly what I think. Otherwise it'd have to be the WWE names for me each time from that list :)

Lesnar will be back hopefully someday, and hopefully he'll be back to cement his position and shut all his critics up. For me him and Angle represent the new era of wrestling we've seen in the 2000's. I just can't see past any of them.

Basically, yes Sharpshooter. I started the thread, I didn't ask you to come and play. Either play ball, or pick your ball up and go home :xyx I don't want any other names mentioned because I have a clear set of names, and want it to be judged on them alone, if people start adding names then the threa gets watered-down and turned into a 'my chosen wrestler is better than yours' futile juvenile debate :)
  • Like 1