Meltzer's take on All-Star in TNA

Dead Crow

I know this should probably be in the UK forum but as it's dominantly about UK workers, I thought I'd post it here...

Before watching...

The Mexico vs UK singles matches were said to have been the weakest of anything thus far. I heard a lot of complaints about the UK team, saying none of them showed anything special. There were major style clash problems as nobody was used to anybody else's style and all of the matches were reported as being bad. The feeling after the singles matches is that this would be the first X Cup PPV that wouldn't be good. The crowd got totally behind the Mexican team, more so than would be expected. Mr Aguila pinned Dean Allmark. The debuting Heavy Metal pinned Robbie Dynamite in 4.00 of a match described as a mess. Dynamite dropped Metal wrong on his head, Metal was very upset, decided not to trust the guy, and called for the finish right away. Hector Garza pinned Frankie Sloan in a slow-paced match. Finally, team captain James Mason, who was said to have been bald and looked like a smaller King Kong Bundy, pinned Abismo Negro when UK manager David Taylor hit Negro with a flagpole

After watching...

This was a taped show featuring the U.K. vs. Mexico X Cup tournament.

1. Mr. Aguila pinned Extreme Dean Allmark in 6:16 after a split legged moonsault. The two couldn't work together at all and is was a total styles clash.

2. Heavy Metal pinned Robbie Dynamite in 3:36 after a la magistral cradle. This was the match where Metal was dropped wrong and didn't want anything to do with Dynamite, so he called for the finish right away. Dynamite, as you can tell by his name, idolized Dynamite Kid.

- This show was booked pretty well, but was sub par in the ring -

3. Hector Garza pinned Frankie Sloan in 9:25 with a corkscrew splash inside the ring. Garza should be on TNA every week. He's got it all.

4. James Mason pinned Abismo Negro after outside interference from U.K. coach David Taylor. Mason does the old British style. This match wasn't anything special but Mason's style was fun to watch.

5. Sloan & Dynamite beat Aguila & Garza when Taylor hit Aguila with the flagpole and Sloan pinned him. This match was surprisingly good. Garza was the ring general here, selling his knee and holding everything together. Dynamite looked a lot better in this match.

6. Mason & Allmark beat Metal & Negro in 7:26 when Taylor used the divorce court on Negro and Mason made him submit with a chicken wing and crossface. Decent. This put U.K. up 5-3 going into the final match (singles matches are one point, tags are two)

7. Team AAA beat Team U.K. in 12:17. The story was that AAA, which were the total babyfaces, not only had to win, but had to win by more than one fall. The crowd was chanting "Mexico, Mexico" and were into this match. It was a lot of non-Mexicans chanting it as well. I think the fans have been won over by the fact these guys have put on good matches every time out. Dynamite pinned Metal in 6:00 when Taylor interfered again. Abismo pinned Allmark in 8:00 with "the dreaded martinete" (tombstone piledriver). At this point, Taylor tried to interfere again but Metal came from the back and attacked him. Aguila pinned Sloan in 10:20 with a split legged moonsault. Match ended with Garza doing a moonsault on Mason at the same time Aguila did a moonsault on Dynamite. Antonio Pena and an unidentified Arturo Rivera hit the ring for the celebration, which naturally, because the prevailing view of U.S. wrestling owners this week is that anything foreign in this country is bad, they cut it off even though the crowd was into this far more than 90% of the product they deliver.

Not the best of reactions, I must say. Not that I expected much, but it seems at least the UK succeeded in making the mexicans look even better due to their... not so looking good :oops

To be fair though they were hardly the greatest representation of British wrestling I mean would have preferred those british guys Sloan, Dynamite, Mason and Allmark or Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, James Tighe and The Zebra Kid. Nuff said.

To be fair though they were hardly the greatest representation of British wrestling I mean would have preferred those british guys Sloan' date=' Dynamite, Mason and Allmark or Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, James Tighe and The Zebra Kid. Nuff said.[/quote']

I agree! It's not even the best of All Star talent!! although there's no doubting Masons talent, also you'd of thought they'd of gone for the more cruiserweight style wrestlers going up against Mexicans rather than Frankie Sloane and Robbie Dynamite.