Summerslam to be held in England?

Dan

In today’s Miami Herald, Jim Varsallone reported that Toronto, Canada, Manchester, England and Tampa, FL are the three candidates to host SummerSlam in August. He went on to say that Tropicana Field, which seats well over 40,000 people and is the home of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball team, would be available on August 15 and 29, but not August 22 because the Rays have a home game that day. I can add that SummerSlam is scheduled for August 15, so if Varsallone is correct about WWE wanting to run at Tropicana Field, which would be a pretty ambitious venue for a non-Mania event in the current market, it would be available that day. It could also be that they are looking at running at the St. Pete Times Forum, a.k.a. The Ice Palace, where the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team play. To read Varsallone’s story, click here.

Credit PWInsider

Not sure how true this is, it seems every year or so there is rumours going around about the WWE holding a major PPV over here. I read that Old Trafford was going to be the venue, but again, may be no truth it that.

It comes down to the simple fact that the WWE may lose buyrates by not holding the event live in the US, thus some people may use internet to look up results and in turn this may cause PPV buy rates to be low. Who knows?

It would certainly be cool if the PPV was over here.

There was the "RUMBLE FOR CELTIC PARK!!!" rumours last year, which came to nothing. I expect this to do likewise. I think logistically, it would make more sense for one of the 'lesser' PPVs to be in the UK, so as to bump up the buyrate from the UK peeps if nothing else.

I think running a 'big four' show in the UK is a no-no - and from a travel point of view, if they ran a Raw roster PPV in the UK, they'd have to run Raw the next day over here too, or have it pre-taped... probably wouldn't fly, especially in PPV week.

I would look for one of the lesser Smackdown PPVs to be abroad - possibly the Tuesday 'extra' one that's been reported in about June or July, I think.

was it summerslam '92 at wembley with the bulldog and bret hart in the main event god that was awesome perhaps my best ever match definetly top 5 it was amazing especially with lennox lewis and matilda (what happened to that dog?)

was it summerslam '92 at wembley with the bulldog and bret hart in the main event god that was awesome perhaps my best ever match definetly top 5 it was amazing especially with lennox lewis and matilda (what happened to that dog?)

Yes, it was SummerSlam 92 in Wembley. I was there and it was packed! He didnt have Matilda at that time, she died before SummerSlam 92. He didnt have a dog with him at SummerSlam 92, probably because Winston, the dog he had at the time, would be tied up in quarentine for 6 months if he tried to bring him into the UK from the USA.

I cant see them doing SummerSlam at Old Trafford.

For the life of me I dont know why they haven't used the Millenium Staduim. Then again I doubt they would be able to fill it. Including the floor they could pack in almost 85,000 people. Which they probably would struggle to do. Also the stadium has a roof and is rated as the best stadium in Europe for having a great view of the action, no matter where you're sat. I went to see the FA Cup final there in 2002' and it was one hell of an experience.

It would be cool as hell if the PPV was held in England.

The Millenium stadium does seem the logical choice if WWE were to do a 'big event' over here. The place is HUGE and also as I stated earlier has the retractable roof, which allows WWE flexibility in that it can have the event either indoors or outdoors. Also once the roof is on, the atmosphere is nothing short of electric.

This was posted in the APRIL 1ST edition of the Wrestling-Online Newsletter:

> SUMMERSLAM LOCATION STILL UP IN THE AIR

- The location for this year's SummerSlam has yet to be decided as the

company is trying to figure out which would be the ideal place. Tampa,

Toronto and Manchester, England are on the shortlist to host the event.

WWE Canada President Carl DeMarco is trying to get the event in either

the Air Canada Centre or the SkyDome. Meanwhile WWE officials seem also

interested to have the event held overseas, in Manchester England at the

Old Trafford Stadium. Considering the stadium holds more than 65,000 in

a normal soccer setting, it would hold around 10,000 more on the field.

However a decision will not be done until the next WWE UK tour in May.

One problem with holding SummerSlam in the UK is due to time difference

and with the power of Internet today results could be out just minutes

after the show is over which would certainly hurt the buyrates of the

PPV in the United States since it wouldn't air live.

summerslam in the UK would rock!!! I always regreted not seeing the summerslam that they held at wembly. I'm usually not inclined to go see WWE when they play here as nothing major usually happens.

I gotta say that Wembly or the millenium dome would be a much better pair of choices.

(Easier for me to get to too....lol)

summerslam in the UK would rock!!! I always regreted not seeing the summerslam that they held at wembly. I'm usually not inclined to go see WWE when they play here as nothing major usually happens.

I gotta say that Wembly or the millenium dome would be a much better pair of choices.

(Easier for me to get to too....lol)

Wembley is all torn down though and not even close to being finished isnt it? (forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, the last I heard is they were well behind the rebuilding schedule).

what about summerslam at the city of manchester stadium im not sure how many seats it has but its new and would be a very good choice mind you inj england it wouldnt look right to american viewers to have an event called summerslam and it be pi$$in it down wwe should have more outdoor events like in the glory days of wwe

JackBibby - great point there: it would be ridiculous to hold Summerslam in bloody MANCHESTER!

Good call about the Millennium Dome though, I'm not sure if it's set up for stadium like capacity. The seating inside is more theatre like, and not arena like, I think.

Nah, Milennium Stadium Cardiff, roof closed, 80,000 Brits going nuts as Old-Skool 'Taker, after being Sweet-Chin-Musiced in the face sits up because of the "power of the urn"...Magic.

Cheers!

Old Trafford does seem a strange choice. As a United fan I'd love to see it, and I'd be there with bells on, but it would be quite humorous if it pissed down and the wrestlers were slipping all over the place. Anyway as I already said it won't happen because end of August is football season, so rule out all club football grounds.

Millenium Stadium is the sensible choice, because of the roof.

I was thinking about this the other day.... the possibility of England getting a major PPV again...

Surely it would make sense, if they are going to have 2 more PPVs or whatever in a year, to scrap the stupid Rebellion and Insurrextion PPVs, or even make them into actual Smackdown/Raw brand PPVs? Then everyone would be happy, including Guerrero who by the looks of things loved the ladies in Sheffield.

I'm assuming the women are nice in Sheffield then? :)

Without meaning to sound against Manchester (I am not), could someone tell me the largest venue they have there.

Cos I would think the city of Manchester stadium would be more appropriate than old trafford (as it is designed for an audience, rather than built in stages and, well, lob-sided on the seat allocations), but as one of our learned colleagues has pointed out... British weather demands a roof. So it would have to be the largest indoor venue there.

If that was the case then many cities host big venues, let's discount London, cos they always get the big shows. There is Glasgow, Sheffield and my personal favorite, Birmingham (seeing as it is slap bang in the middle of the country and easy to get to from all sides).

But this is of course if the decision is made to host it in Britain, as WWE do a lot of tours over here... well two (I think).