Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold Steve Austin

Jack

Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold Steve Austin  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Hulk Hogan
    • Stone Cold Steve Austin

i posted a thread about HHH or Stone Cold but to the end it became Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold so i decided to make a thread dedicated to this discussion in my opinion it is ver close but i would go for Hulk because if he hadnt of been around wrestling would be so different and a lot less famous and even though his wrestling talent wasnt as good he could pull of an awesome match. hulk hogan made wrestling popular austin made wwf/attitude era popular

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan, Hogan, Hogan, Hogan!!! Hulk was (and can still be somethingspecial that no one else is, he gets the fans going like no other, yes behind the scenes he's an ass who will rarely put people over and demands huge money. But as it is said "I'm a Hulkamaniac till I die, Hulkamania will live forever!!"

Hogan all the way. Still the greatest after all these years, the man who made wrestling what it is. I hope his stint as the dreadful Mr. America isnt the last we see of him, I'm sure it wont be. BUT if it is, it still doesnt take away from all this man has and still does mean to the business of professional wrestling.

Hulk Rules.....BROTHER!

Alot of it also depends on when you grew up and who you are a bigger mark for I think...very much an opinion based question. Is there any right or wrong answer? I'm not so sure. Hogan made wrestling what it is today and if it wasnt for him, there wouldnt have even been a Steve Austin probably, so without Hogan, Austin wouldnt have even had his opportunity...on the other hand, if it wasnt for Austin getting really hot in 1997, the WWF may be a very different place than it is today, if it was still even active. With them both being active in different era's, I dont think they can be compared. Thats just my opinion, though.

You make a good point there. It really depends on what you are arguing about. E.G - Better Wrestler? Who made the most money? Who got more draws? Who sold the most merchandise? ECT...

I suppose I'm just an Ausitn mark and will always be that way :D

But if we argue about something in particular then I will obviously try and back my point up with something...

Hulk Hogan????? hahahahahahaha! what a joke! Hulk Hogan built up the WWF and then leftto become a pretty s**t actor. Austin in thew other hand didn't take the fame to head as he was badly booked in WCW and then came to WWF and obviously wasn't an instant hit but eventually became the "Texas Rattlesnake" and NOBODY can argue that he didn't save the WWF from dying to WCW.

Hulk Hogan????? hahahahahahaha! what a joke! Hulk Hogan built up the WWF and then leftto become a pretty s**t actor. Austin in thew other hand didn't take the fame to head as he was badly booked in WCW and then came to WWF and obviously wasn't an instant hit but eventually became the "Texas Rattlesnake" and NOBODY can argue that he didn't save the WWF from dying to WCW.

I think your way off there bro. Hulk Hogan was the man who took the WWF Worldwide with Vince McMahon. Hulk was there from 1983 all the up until 1992, thats 9 long years of carrying a company. So to say he built it and left is wrong, he stuck around for almost a decade and then the only reason he left was because of the steroid scandals.

And if you think Hogan was an instant hit, your wrong again. Hogan wrestled as Terry Boulder and Sterling Golden for several years in Memphis as a virtual unknown, and then as the Incredible Hulk Hogan in the WWWF in 1979 as a mid carder.

It was only when he left and went to the AWA that he started to become popular, and that was mainly due to his acting work in the Rocky movie.

Finally he came back to the WWF in 1983 and went into super nova. To laugh at Hulk Hogans accomplishments is ludicrous, and again, if it wasnt for him, there would be no Steve Austin. Think about it... :)

Also, you say Austin saved the WWF from WCW? Not on his own he didnt. He has DX, HBK, Undertaker, Rock, Kane, Foley etc...Hogan had nobody to help him pull the proverbial wagon, he did it pretty much all by himself. Its only in 1988/1989 when the WWF was already established as the top promotion in the World that Hogan got any help, and that was from the Ultimate Warrior who didnt last more than 3 short years.

Edited by The Beltster

Although the two of these have been the biggest influences on Pro Wrestling for the past 2 decades, at the time they were both around I never marked out for either. I always liked The Warrior better than Hogan and The Rock better than Austin.

In closing if I had to choose a fave between the two, I would probably say Austin. Due to the fact that he really help mould the WWE's new attitude towards the industry.

can someone explain how stone cold has done more for westling than hogan like i said before austin made wwf famous hogan made wrestling famous

No one's arguing with the point that Hogan has done more for the industry as a whole than Austin.

But when you ask people who they prefer out of the two then I expect most will say Austin due to the fact that Austins reign was not so long ago and the fact that Austin was out fighting every night rather than just one or two shows before a main event like Hogan did, makes me choose Austin over Hogan.

the fact that Austin was out fighting every night rather than just one or two shows before a main event like Hogan did.

What are you talking about? Hogan didnt fight "one or two shows before a main event" Hulk Hogan used to travel and work ALOT more shows than Austin did. When Hogan was first starting to get the WWF popular, he worked EVERY show, which was sometimes upto 8 shows per week! He HAD to, because back in those days, Hulk was the guy everybody wanted to see, so a WWF show without Hogan wouldnt draw squat. Hogan would sometimes be on the road for upto 25-30 days, Austin never worked those kind of dates in his WWF career. Its only after 1988 when the WWF was established that Hulk cut back on his shows, but thats still 5 long years of working heavy dates.

What are you talking about? Hogan didnt fight "one or two shows before a main event" Hulk Hogan used to travel and work ALOT more shows than Austin did. When Hogan was first starting to get the WWF popular' date=' he worked EVERY show, which was sometimes upto 8 shows per week! He HAD to, because back in those days, Hulk was the guy everybody wanted to see, so a WWF show without Hogan wouldnt draw squat. Hogan would sometimes be on the road for upto 25-30 days, Austin never worked those kind of dates in his WWF career. Its only after 1988 when the WWF was established that Hulk cut back on his shows, but thats still 5 long years of working heavy dates.[/quote']

Im not talking about on the way up, if we were then I would be mentioing that Austin's stint in WCW sucked (although he was not largely at fault) and Hogan's politics ruined both his WWF & WCW careers.

When Hogan was in his prime he worked maybe 1 or 2 dates a month.

Fact.

Interesting topic....

Wrestling wise, Hogan was never anything special. Naturally, he'd actually try to wrestle in Japan because that's their thing, but even then, he was nothing special. Many people on the other hand, say Austin couldn't wrestle, and thats far from truth. Austin could work a technical match with anyone without being carried. The fact is, guys like Undertaker and Mick Foley were brawlers, so Austin had to adapt, and in the process developed WWE's main event style for the next few years, so there was no real need for him to change. Why fix what isn't broken?

In terms of stature, you're talking two different time periods. Back in the 80s, the fans were all still marks, mostly young kids, who idolised Hulk because he was a big strong guy (size = success, remember) who was charismatic and always booked strongly. Plus, at a time when wrestling was territorial and had never been really national (ok, the NWA as a body was national, but was hosting numerous territories within that, such as JCP and co), WWF was just starting to become a national franchise, and Hogan was lucky enough to be the right guy at the right time. Skip to the 90s and the WWF had been national for a good decade or so, so it wasn't like Austin was at the top of something right there. But what Austin was in was the start of a whole new international media explosion, which drew all new fans, at a time when they were starting to openly address wrestling being scripted and starting to drift from fantasy land to a "real" product. So both were in different time zones, and had their own successes in those respective eras.

Saying that, I think it's wrong to say they revolutionised the business. If anything, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman were the three biggest revolutionaries in American wrestling of the modern era. Hogan and Austin were simply the right people at the right time with the right amount of talent in whatever aspect to pull it off.

But I rant...

I choose Austin. Better wrestler, more entertaining worker, and was a modern day guy, who I can relate to more. Always helps if you can relate to those you get into.

Im not talking about on the way up, if we were then I would be mentioing that Austin's stint in WCW sucked (although he was not largely at fault) and Hogan's politics ruined both his WWF & WCW careers.

When Hogan was in his prime he worked maybe 1 or 2 dates a month.

Fact.

Hogan was in his prime from 1984-1988, when he was working 8 shows a week.

Fact

His WWF prime was 1987, when he wasn't working as many shows as he had in previous years (this was when he was starting to come back).

His WCW prime (and you can look at it either way as to which was bigger) was in 1996, and he was working Nitros and PPV only.

His WWF prime was 1987, when he wasn't working as many shows as he had in previous years (this was when he was starting to come back).

His WCW prime (and you can look at it either way as to which was bigger) was in 1996, and he was working Nitros and PPV only.

I dont think he ever had a 'Prime' in WCW! :lol I'm the biggest Hogan mark alive, but in WCW, I hated it. They ruined him, and he didnt help by using WCW as his playground. Hulk Hogan from 1993-2002 doesnt excist to me! I try not to think about it :lol :D

As for his WWF prime, I wouldnt agree that it was 1987. It stretched from the year after he won the WWF World title all the way upto 1990, but the main years were 1985-1988. Thats when he was drawing those huge gates (65,000 for a house show in Canada!!!).

Wrestling wise, Hogan was never anything special. Naturally, he'd actually try to wrestle in Japan because that's their thing, but even then, he was nothing special. Many people on the other hand, say Austin couldn't wrestle, and thats far from truth. Austin could work a technical match with anyone without being carried. The fact is, guys like Undertaker and Mick Foley were brawlers, so Austin had to adapt, and in the process developed WWE's main event style for the next few years, so there was no real need for him to change. Why fix what isn't broken?

In terms of stature, you're talking two different time periods. Back in the 80s, the fans were all still marks, mostly young kids, who idolised Hulk because he was a big strong guy (size = success, remember) who was charismatic and always booked strongly. Plus, at a time when wrestling was territorial and had never been really national (ok, the NWA as a body was national, but was hosting numerous territories within that, such as JCP and co), WWF was just starting to become a national franchise, and Hogan was lucky enough to be the right guy at the right time. Skip to the 90s and the WWF had been national for a good decade or so, so it wasn't like Austin was at the top of something right there. But what Austin was in was the start of a whole new international media explosion, which drew all new fans, at a time when they were starting to openly address wrestling being scripted and starting to drift from fantasy land to a "real" product. So both were in different time zones, and had their own successes in those respective eras.

Saying that, I think it's wrong to say they revolutionised the business. If anything, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman were the three biggest revolutionaries in American wrestling of the modern era. Hogan and Austin were simply the right people at the right time with the right amount of talent in whatever aspect to pull it off.

That's some pretty good writing there Dra, kudos :xyx

Well, I already posted a topic on this exact same discussion a few months ago, but anyway...

Hogan's drawing power is always grossly overstated by most, especially (obvious) by the markboys. Hogan's ability to draw rarely stood-up on repeated vists to the same arena. Austin was pulling 15,000+ for house shows, and I know it wasn't just Austin, but for the most part it was. Hogan never generated as much cash for that company as Austin, but that could be attributed to various different non-wrestling factors. Again, it's all totally subjective for either pick, and tenfold more so when you don't have any listed criteria.

Hogan was in his prime from 1984-1988, when he was working 8 shows a week.

Fact

I mean his career prime. Not his physical prime.

Argh....I've had enough. Its not even funny.

When Hogan was at the height of his WWF career, he was only working maybe one or two matches before one of the 'big four' most of the other time he was in WWF HQ, doing promos and hyping up and the events. He would also appear on air in interviews to help build up fueds. When he was at the height of his WWF reign he wasn't working anything near a full wrestling shedule. Unlike Austin who at his WWF prime was working a full wrestling schedule. Which brings me back to one of the many reasons to add to the point that I feel as though Austin is the better wrestler as during his prime than Hogan. Out of Austins prime years in WWF he doesnt really have much to shout about admittedly. But since becoming SCSA in the WWF he has been one of the most entertaining guys on the planet.

Hogan never generated as much cash for that company as Austin' date=' but that could be attributed to various different non-wrestling factors.[/quote']

Also, this can be attributed to the fact that top price ticket prices when Hulk was in his prime were, say, $25 each, compared to top price tickets when Austin was in his prime of say $100. So, Austin only had to draw a quarter of the fans that Hulk did to make the same money as Hogan, which doesnt allow for a fair comparison IMO.

Did you miss the part where I said it could be attributed to different non-wrestling factors? :roll

Well, I consider the difference in WRESTLING ticket prices to be WRESTLING matters. So, in saying that, here are you sarcastic rolling eyes back, I dont need them :roll

I voted for Hogan. Thats not to say I'm not a big fan of Stone Cold, it's just that Hogan is an absolute living legend, for one reason or another. Plus, he is more talented than Austin. Not only is he a wrestler but also a mega talented actor starring in a series of hugely successful blockbuster films and he also managed to delve into the world of music releasing arguably the greatest album made by a wrestler in the 1990's.