Hitman: The Double-Cross

Boyo

Always been a big Hitman fan, and watched with great interest his recent Shoot interview on The Wrestling Channel.

I remember watching Survivor Series 1997 on TV and watching the double-cross, but at the time just being too young to understand what was going on. I didn't really think much about it until I saw Hitman's interview about the double-cross, and his dealings with Vince McMahon. I also read through the infamous ultra-long report, on this site, that chronicles the ins and outs of Bret Hart's dealings with Vince up until the double-cross. All very interesting reading. This has made me want to watch the double-cross for myself.

1. Is the video (Wrestling With Shadows) any good? I've read a few reviews but none state whether the footage of the double-cross is played through uninterrupted, has extra footage, is what we would have seen on TV, or, as I have been led to believe, it is just a series of stills?

2. I have looked on Amazon for a Bret Hart DVD which includes all this stuff, but seeing as it appears Vince has all of Hitman's footage, I doubt a DVD will be released. Not unless any of you guys tell me differently.

3. What about this "Beyond the Mat" DVD? I've heard that includes the double-cross but doesn't really go into it too much (it's very difficult to get a good review anywhere online so I'm asking you direct).

4. A friend swears it was BBC2 or Channels 4 or 5 that showed a programme about the times of Bret Hart about two years ago: is this true?

5. Lastly, please take a second to air your opinions on Hitman. The reason I say this is because a) I'm still a bit green with regards to this issue and b) the Hitman didn't convince me he was entirely telling the truth. He paints a very bad picture of Vince, and has some anecdotes to back his case up, and I heard the cameraman saying "...wow!" a couple of times, but I wasn't wholly convinced...

...The major niggle I had was when he said he had he met up with Vince in a park, and later found out that he was surrounded by SWAT teams listening in to his conversation with Vince. Vince had promised Bret access to Hitman and Owen Hart footage, but then went back on his word. Bret then says he spoke to a SWAT team officer later who confirmed he had been listening into the conversation and confirmed Vince was lying. Now this was delivered very convincingly by Bret, but at the same time, he has absolutely no evidence to back that up. Surely a judge would take the word of a Policeman in court? Doesn't add up to me.

Sorry for such a long post which drags up old, probably already covered issues, I have no doubts. I looked through old threads and none answered my questions. Believe me, your views and opinions are greatly appreciated. :worship

Cheers!

1 - It is an excellent, especially if you are a fan of Bret

2 - Not heard of this DVD before

3 - Off the top of my head, I can;t remember. Either way, BTM is a must-have

4 - First I've heard of it

About the SWAT team; I believe it. Don;t forget, he was meeting the person who he perceived screwed him, and had just played an indirect part in the killing of his brother.

I've seen Wrestling with Shadows so many times, and I can't help if thats sad, but I absolutely love it. Thing is I have less sympathy for Bret every time I watch it. But that's another story, and there's an article I wrote somewhere on the site to save me from debating it all again. :)

I've just come off watching that shoot interview too, and I don't know if everyone else is like me and kinda hates Goldberg again? Sure you knew about what Goldberg had done beforehand... but hearing Bret again totally has turned me against Goldberg again.

Wrestling With Shadows is a must for any Bret fan, and also for casual wrestling fans. I showed the video to a work colleague and on returning it to me, he said "after watching that, i will never look at Vince the same again!" I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

As for Beyond The Mat, yet another must-view. Its insight into the worlds of Terry Funk, Mick Foley and Jake Roberts are amazing and gives you another take on the effect wrestling has on the stars lives.

As for the dvd, i have not heard anything, and ditto with the swat team. But this is the wrestling biz so you never know :D

In BTM isn't the double cross when Rock used too many chair shots on Foley and just didn't say sorry! Sad but true, thats the entire double cross.

Unless anyone knows another?

Bret Hart, what to say? A fantastic wrestler who seemed a genuine guy. Also was in the greatest match ever (IMO), against Dynamite Kid, its on the British Bulldogs video if anyones not seen it.

BRET

NO ONE wants my opinion on Bret .

I never like Bret as good a wrestler as he was I never liked him (maybe due to the fact im a huge HBK mark but still I never liked Bret)

Basically I watched that shoot interview and to me it just seemed as if Bret is a very resentfull and vengeful person. he claims not to but listent to his comments and you can tell he is very bitter. He seems to blame everyone else and never once puts any blame onto himself for anything. His brother was a great man but Bret even crtises WWE for the whole continuation of the PPV and the RAW is OWEN show. If I didnt liek Bret before I really hate him now

About the SWAT team; I believe it. Don;t forget' date=' he was meeting the person who he perceived screwed him, and had just played an indirect part in the killing of his brother.[/quote']

Thanks for your opinions, guys. Mucho appreciateo!

Cactus, with regards to the SWAT team being present I agree that they were present at Bret's meeting with Vince, for the reasons you outlined. What I perhaps doubt as being true is the anecdote that Bret met one of the SWAT guys afterwards who confirmed that Vince went back on his word about access to the Hart brothers' footage. To me, it seems like a very convincing yarn, very believable in the context of Brets interview, but uttlerly unprovable. There's no evidence for this, and five years after he met Vince in the park, it's even more unprovable, but more convincing. If you seee what I mean..?

Cheers!

The SWAT story is in fact true, I heard it the first time around and everyone since has pushed it as truth. Like Bret said, if Vince dropped Shane or Stephanie from the roof, would he have stopped the show? Vince's rationale about the fans rioting if he stopped the show is nonsense, even if he meant it or not.

I've been meaning to post about this shoot since it was on Tuesday. One of the most interesting things in my view was that, the closest Bret came to breaking-down was when he was talking about his match with Benoit on Kansas. He didn't really show any signs of breaking-down when talking about Owen though. Now, I don't know wheather that's because they talked about Owen first, which got he emotional and cracked him first, or wheather he just loves the sport so much that a tribute match with a Stu-trained worker dedicated to Owen cracked him.

His stories about WCW were shocking though; how could that company have beaten WWE for 83 weeks straight is beyond me.

Edited by Rikidozan