Does Size Matter?

Paul

Having read some old threads I noticed a few touched on this subject, but none into any depth.

How important is size nowadays for maintaining suspension of disbelief in a match? Could you really picture Rey Misterio beating Big show without a screwy count out/DQ result?

No, can't imagine Rey beating Big Show via pin-fall or submission. Ever. The whole thing about the Big Show is that he is supposed to swat guys like Mysterio like flies.

I cannot see a Cruiserweight beating guys like HHH, Undertaker, Big Show, Kane or Batista with pure wrestling ability or aerial moves. It would need a DQ, or a distraction-then-roll up scenario, or a cheeky chair shot to do it. The big guys have a big repuatation to maintain so the WWE can make further big matches in the future.

If Funaki made Matt Morgan tap out, would you believe it? And a month later, if Morgan was put in a match with (eg) John Cena for the belt, how would you feel if Morgan then won that match, seeing how he tapped out to Funaki a month ago? Exactly, you'd probably feel cheated.

Which leads to a question, related to the topic thankfully:

Did the 1-2-3 Kid ever beat Razor Ramon with a submission or pin after the 1-2-3 Kid's finishing move? Or did it always require a roll-up or distraction or both? I watched the matches when they were on ten years ago, but always remember Razor getting beaten in a comedic fashion.

Cheers!

the size of a wrestler does matter. It has to after all look believable. In WWE for instance, the look of a wrestler is paramount. (unfortunatley) As far as their writing team is concerned if the wrestler doesnt look buff they dont get a push. (For example: Ultimo dragon. Jerry Lynn. and too many others who have been miss-used to mention.)

Yes but Rey beat Nash clean in WCW. And Spike Dudley beat Bam Bam Bigalow, Mable and Big Sid in ECW. All belivable when watched, so is it just the booking squad not knowing how to pull it off, or have our perceptions of what a winner should look like been changed thanks to Vince?

After all no one thought that Benoit beating Big Show was out there, and the crippler in a fairly short fella. 5 foot 11ish. Ultimo isn't that much smaller.

No' date=' can't imagine Rey beating Big Show via pin-fall or submission. Ever. The whole thing about the Big Show is that he is supposed to swat guys like Mysterio like flies.[/quote']

I know there was some interference, but I still can;t get over the fact Tenacious Z got the pin over the Big Show.

As far as the WWE is concerned it's not "should size matter?" it's quite simply "yes it does." These are the ground rules that Vince and his crew have laid down, and as much as I love WWE it's just yet another reason for me to watch TNA. A J Styles would not have gotten nearly as far in the WWE.

All hail the mighty Jarrett corporation taste it's goodness and you will see yay......it is good

But to be a good performance does it need to be vaguely realistic? If so shouldn't size play a large part?

yes, there must be some degree of realism...that's why i clarified it by saying it shouldn't be a big factor

other things should be more important in my opinion

• Like 1

I do actually agree with you Tazzy13, if that is indeed your real name (anyone know the quote?). But could you write a storyline where Rey goes over Show in a non screwjob way? Would like to here, its gotta be better than how he went over Nash.

But why do they insist on putting guys the size of Rey up against the Big Show? Surely it would be a more even match if guys of roughly the same size matched up against each other, rather than putting a little guy in a squash match with the Big Slow.

Thanks jackatack! :thumbsup

To vindicate my point from earlier on:

1-2-3 Kid got a blinking ROLL-UP to beat Razor Ramon! I can't remember the match in detail but Razor was distracted by someone playing with his gold, or 1-2-3 hit him with his gold (therefore "something was to happen to HIM, chico") - something like that.

I also remember the angle was Razor offering money to the 1-2-3 Kid, for some reason, I think it was to throw the match? What I don't remember is the Kid's finishing move, because he never applied it to Razor to any effect, because it just wouldn't have been right. I can't remember watching the Diaper Match though.

Anyway, I think the fact that the champions are getting smaller these days is a good thing, it's a talent thing now, not a size thing. If Rey Mysterio had a match vs Benoit (for eg) and hit the 619 followed by the West Coast Pop, I could imagine a pinfall. If Rey hit the same combination on Big Show or the Undertaker, I would still expect the big guy to kick out.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I think size plays a large part nowadays, everyone has this image of wrestlers as these huge guys, 6' 5'', 250lbs and really good looking and buff. But guys like Rey Mysterio, (he looks ok) he uses speed and skill to beat big guys. Does anyone remember the Tag Match with Mysterio and Lesnar v. A-Train and Big Show. Mysterio 619ed A-Train, then springboarded for a pin! Another example is Benoit, 5' 10'', 220lbs. He is well-muscled, sure, but he looks like he got hit on the head with a big book when he was younger!

Mysterio did have a match with Benoit, triple threat with Kurt Angle, Rey-Rey was repeatedly pushed from the ring, he was tossed from the ring by Benoit, then Angle returned to the ring. Mysterio did a double 619 (Angle and Benoit), West Coast Popped Angle, who still didn't go down. Benoit got Angle in the Crossface, Angle was near the ropes, but rolled himself into the centre of the ring, Rey leg dropped Benoit, nothing. He did a moonsault to Angle out of the ring, jumped back in, West Coast Popped Benoit and got the pin.

Size can never matter because it's all fake and rehearsed anyway.

Discuss:

Rey, perhaps you'd like to read the comments made previously on this thread and a few others before unsuccesfully attempting to take this topic to "What I Know About Wrestling 101".

I'm not flaming you at all mate, but it just seems like you have simply ignored the considered opinions of others and added your own naive point.

To point you somewhat in the right direction: Read some of the first few entries on this thread, regarding "what if Funaki beats Matt Morgan etc?" and "the credibility of a champion".

Just to get your thinking cap on, answer this question: If wrestling is fake and rehearsed, why has Rey Mysterio never scored a victory over the Undertaker by way of a pinfall or submission? He has never hit a 619/West Coast Pop combo on him and scored a victory, has he? But he does this weekly vs the Cruiserweights in his division. Why do you think this is?

Cheers!