NJPW Super Cup 94

Guest Fully

Guest Fully

I just saw this for the first time yesterday and I have to say that it was utterly a brilliant event. I thought id sit down and watch the first hour, but after seeing the quality of wrestling I ended up watching all 3 and half hours in one go. Dont worry I wont give anything away in case you want to see it.

Benoit is involved wrestling as 'Wild pegasus', Dean malenko Wrestles as himself as does Taka Michinoku, and Eddie Guerrero wrestles as 'Black Tiger'. Also on the card are Japanese greats such as Hayabusa, Jusyhin Ligher, The Great Sasuke, Ricky Fuji, Super Delfin and a few others. 14 wrestlers in all.

2 wrestlers, Benoit and Sasuke, have byes to the second round so thier is 6 first round matches, 4 quarter finals, 2 semi finals and a Final. Each promotion is represented from across Japan including the funnily titles WAR(Wrestle and Romance)

Obviously, the commentary is in japanese but this doesnt spoil anything.

Putting in the context of time, 1994 year of wm10, these japanese prmotions were so far ahead of WWF. some of the moves they are pulling, especially Guerrero and Benoit, didnt come to the WWF until they arrived.

There are some great matches, and a phenomenal final. This wrestling in japan is considered more of a sport, Photographers line the outside of the ring rushing over and scrambling for pictures. The fans show respect, and the wrestlers shake hands before and after matches.

Has anyone else seen this or wants to comment?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I saw this ages ago. Benoit is absolutely great in this as he gives probably the best performance of his career. The Great Sasuke enters as a virtual unknown and by the end is a superstar with his awesome aerials, and a williness to die for your entertainment. Personally, I thought Super J Cup 2, held in 1995, was better but there's not much between them.

• 1 month later...
Super J 94 is one of the very best shows i have ever seen from top to bottom. I love Lyger, Hayabusa and Benoit and even Gedo puts in a reasonable performance. Star of the show though is easily The Great Sasuke doing such amazing offense as the Space Flying Tiger Drop.